Mudita Forum: The Power of Now
Mudita Forum will begin a chapter-by-chapter discussion of Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now on November 2, 2003. Participants are encouraged to purchase the audio CD version of the book, since the sound of Tolle's voice can often serve as a helpful illustration of his teachings.
Below is a schedule for the discussion, and some guidelines for writing the "kick-off essay" that will help stimulate discussion for each chapter.
KICK-OFF ESSAY SCHEDULE
Your kick-off essay can be as short or as long as you wish.
The purpose of the kick-off essay for each chapter is to (1) summarize the chapter's main points, (2) comment on the chapter's content, and (3) stimulate further discussion.
Below are some suggested guidelines for approaching your kick-off essay:
This section should be written "from the book's perspective," i.e., with a focus on re-creating rather than critiquing. This is an opportunity to demonstrate that you understand what the author is saying.
- What is the theme of this chapter?
- How does it fit in the context of the overall book, and how does it relate to the book's previous chapters?
- What seemed to be the author's major goals with this chapter?
- What are the chief ideas any reader should carry away?
- Of these ideas, which seem most critical?
- What seemed to be the chapter's strengths?
- What were its weaknesses?
- Are there aspects of the chapter that seem to compliment Objectivism (or a well-reasoned approach to life based on enlightened individualism)?
- Are there aspects of the chapter that seem problematic from the standpoint of Objectivism (or a well-reasoned approach to life based on enlightened individualism)?
- What aspects of the chapter especially warrant further discussion by the group?
- What questions are you yourself left with?
- Date: Please submit your kick-off essay to forum @muditaforum.com by 5:00 p.m. on the evening before it is to be distributed (see the schedule listed above).
- Plain Text: Please assure that your essay is submitted in plain text format, not in styled formats such as MIME or HTML.
- Subject Line: When you submit your kick-off essay, please use the following subject line for your message: Kickoff Chapter XX
- Questions: Feel free to write Joshua with any other questions you may have!